Science at NIWA is co-ordinated through our National Centres, each of which is led by a chief scientist. You can find out more about our science in action in the Science section of our website!
NIWA has excellent science resources and is committed to maintaining these.
- Varied clients and work opportunities in research and applied science
- Research vessels, including the only vessel with DP2 capability in NZ
- Relevant scientific software and an inhouse software development team
- Well-equipped laboratories
- Inhouse research library
- Inhouse videoconference facilities and meeting room facilities
- Opportunities to work out in the field and across diverse geographical landscapes
- Technical and non-technical training
- Access to Innovation/Seed Funding
- Support towards relevant professional membership fees
- Support for relevant external study
- Inter-office transfer opportunities
- An opportunity to work with experienced and often world leading colleagues
Science management pathways
NIWA recognises that the high quality delivery of science objectives requires effective science management and leadership.
If you're interested in people management and leadership as well as science, we have career pathways which can combine both!
Our science teams are separated into specialist science groups and each group has a Group Manager responsible for the effective management of the team. Each of our projects has an assigned Project Manager, responsible for co-ordinating people and budgets, as well as building effective relationships with external customers, where applicable.
We also have Assistant Regional Managers and Regional Managers who are responsible for science delivery and operational matters in the regions.
Additionally, there are a number of senior science management positions you can aspire to.