Obtaining Climate Data from NIWA
Science Centres: Climate
NIWA maintains the national climate database for New Zealand, and can supply data in a variety of ways.
The National Climate Database is an archive of climate observations which in some places extend as far back as the 1860s. There are several ways to obtain data:
- Email, telephone or fax your request to the National Climate Centre:
- Phone: +64 4 386 0300 and ask for "Climate Enquiries"
- Fax: +64 4 386 0574, attention “Climate Enquiries”
- For frequent New Zealand users of detailed data
Register to NIWA’s CliFlo web access service for free climate data access.
- For the agriculture and energy sectors
A Climate Explorer subscription provides web access to regularly updated maps and graphs of climate conditions at over 100 sites around New Zealand.
- For travellers and tourists
Visit the “Overview of New Zealand Climate” page. There are also links from here to free summaries of monthly conditions at 30 New Zealand climate stations.
- For schools
Visit the “Climate data and activities” page. This gives links to information about regional climate, monthly climate summaries, and worksheets for classroom exercises.