NIWA is the main provider of fisheries resource surveys, catch monitoring and stock assessment research for New Zealand fisheries, and has been engaged across the world by governments, agencies and industry to provide advice, review, training and services in these areas.
We work with industry to increase the value and sustainability of seafood.
Our expertise includes:
- Fish abundance and productivity
- Population modelling and risk analysis
- Estimation of sustainable harvest levels
- Fish ageing, biology and ecology
- Impact on non-target species
- Recreational and customary catches
- Environmental impacts and mitigation strategies
- Ecosystem approaches to fisheries
- Data management